Inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Summer four-grain salad with garlic, lemon & herbs, this dish ended up being something completely different, simply because I did not have all the ingredients suggested by my favorite celebrity chef. Call it a summer salad recipe, if you must, but you can have it any season if you freeze the herbs. It’s so tasty, and easy to make, that I am sure it will become a top favorite in our household.
On Facebook today, Jamie Oliver shared this amazing dish:
Not having all the required ingredients, I decided to improvise, and I ended up with a beautiful salad, the prefect side for pan roasted asparagus. Of course you can also serve it as is, or as side dish for meats and fish. It will taste great the next day, too.
- 100 grams red lentils + 300 milliliters water to boil
- 1 cup wild rice + 3 cups water to boil
- 1 cup barley + 3 cups water to boil
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch mint, finely chopped
- juice from 1 small lime
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green asparagus
- 2 garlic cloves, whole but peeled
- 2 teaspoons pan roasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds
- First, bring to a boil the grains that require longer too cook, each separately, in its own pan. Pear barley and wild rice usually take 40-45 minutes to cook.
- minutes before they are done, boil the red lentils (they don't need more than 10 minutes to cook).
- In a large bowl, prepare a marinade combining freshly chopped parsley, mint, garlic, oil, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. When all grains and pulses are cooked, strain and chill under cold water, then add to the bowl. Top with sesame and flax seeds, and stir well.
- Separately, roast your green asparagus in a pan, together with two whole garlic cloves, for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, than plate to your liking.