Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) are versatile, tasty and fun. They are also very healthy, with excellent fiber content. Studies also show that chickpeas offer good blood fat regulation, including lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides. Check out information about all their health benefits.
Since we love chickpeas so much, we try to stay away from the usual recipes, and we create new ways to enjoy them in our diet. This is a recipe with knob celery, excellent both as a main, or as a side dish.
- 1 celeriac root
- 200 grams dry chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons CretaVita olive oil (or any good olive oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- water, to boil the veggies
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to soak overnight, about 12 hours.
- Once chickpeas have soaked, drain and transfer to a large cooking pot. Add water (two cups of water per cup of chickpeas), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for about one hour, till tender.
- In the meanwhile, wash any dirt or debris from the celeriac. Ask an adult to help you peel the root, as this may be too difficult for children. When you are done, cube the celeriac.
- In a large soup pot, boil the celeriac over medium heat, until tender, for about 25 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas have cooked, drain and mash with a potato masher or bean masher.
- Once the celeriac has cooked, drain and mash with a potato masher or bean masher.
- Mix celeriac mash and chickpeas mash together well, add olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Your dish is ready. Serve as is, or with gravy, stews, sauces.